Friday, October 31, 2014

1926 Macedonia High School Memory Book page 10

One day while shopping I saw a wonderful hat in a shop window and upon entering the shop was pleasantly waited upon by a demure little lady whom I discovered to be Fern Hooker.
She and Marie Carley owned this store;  she managed the millinery department and Marie designed all the dresses.
They were making a great deal of money as they knew just what the rich Americans wanted and both looked and acted enough like French "madames" to deceive even a Frenchman.
When I returned to New York I noticed a huge sign on Broadway.  "Big Basketball Game, World Championship Series."  The newspapers gave a list of the players and Stanley Dye was captain and center of one of the teams and a star at long shots at the basket just as he was at old 'Donia.  His team had not been defeated in two years.
After all this traveling I found myself anxious to get back to my work as a nurse in the Sun Set Hospital and upon my return to Chicago I learned that the new Hospital built by Dr. Ray C. Hall in that city was in need of a superintendent and decided to apply for the position the next day --- then I woke up.
---Pearle Metcalfe.


COMMENCEMENT
Annual Commencement exercises will be held May 13th, 1926 at the Opera House.  The speaker will be Superintendent Allen R. Nieman, of Magnolia, Iowa.
Baccalaureate services will be conducted by Rev. Wm W. Shugg, Pastor of the M. E. Church, Sunday, May 9th.
The Annual Inter-class Track Meet, All School Exhibit Day and the Senior Class Day exercises will be Wednesday, May 12th.
Eighth Grade Commencement is scheduled for Tuesday, May 11th,.

10




No comments:

Post a Comment